Safety Is Our Number One Value

Our goal is for our pipeline and energy facilities to operate safely every day so that the public, our employees and the environment aren’t affected by an incident involving our assets. Safety is, and always will be, our number one value.

Click or call before you dig

Whether you’re digging a foundation on a commercial jobsite, a swimming pool in your backyard or planting a tree, always know what’s below first. Before putting a shovel in the ground, contact your local One-Call Centre to have all underground utilities located and marked free of charge.

Consequences of unsafe digging include:

  • Risk of serious injuries and death
  • Fines and repair costs to fix the underground utility line(s)
  • Interrupted services such as electricity, gas and water

To ensure everyone’s safety, always call or click before you dig.

Crossing or completing work close to any of our facilities might also require written consent from TransCanada.  Instructions on when and how to apply for written
consent is provided below the following One-Call contacts.

TransCanada - Working Safely Around Pipelines

One-Call Contacts

One-Call Centres

British Columbia 1.800.474.6886 
Alberta 1.800.242.3447 
Saskatchewan 1.866.828.4888 
Manitoba 1.800.940.3447 
Ontario 1.800.400.2255 
Quebec 1.800.663.9228

Online Locate Requests:

Mobile Phone Apps

Alberta — Dig Info AB:  Apple iOS or Android

Saskatchewan — Sask 1st Call: Apple iOS or Android

Quebec — Info-Excavation:  Apple iOS or Android

One-Call Center: 811
Online Locate Requests:

One-Call Center — All States: 01.800.111.3333

Contact us before you cross or encroach

Our company is committed to the safety of everyone living or working near our pipelines and associated facilities. Please keep in mind that certain activities can pose a risk to a pipeline and the people around it.

Before crossing or completing work that could result in a ground disturbance close to any of our facilities, it is imperative to contact us first to obtain written consent. “Crossing” can mean building or installing a temporary or permanent structure across, along or underneath a pipeline right of way or facility site. 

Crossing could also mean driving a vehicle, mobile equipment or machinery along or across the right-of-way or site.

Once you’ve received permission from us, you can contact your local One-Call Centre.

The following lists the type of activities and installations generally not permitted by TransCanada on its right-of-ways:

  • Any structure
  • Aggregate development, blasting, seismic activities or quarries
  • Campsites
  • Community gardens
  • Dugouts
  • Golf courses or mini golf courses
  • Livestock feeders
  • Parking lots
  • Pools
  • Storage

If you need more information, please contact us:

United States

Phone: 1.800.562.8931


Phone: 1.800.111.3333

For more information regarding working around our Canadian facilities, please see below.

Canadian crossing and encroachment applications: What you need to know

To ensure our pipelines and facilities operate safely, written consent from TransCanada must be obtained in Canada before any of the following:

  • Constructing or installing a facility across, on, along or under a TransCanada pipeline right-of-way or facility site
  • Conducting ground disturbance (excavation or digging) on or within the prescribed area (30 metres or 100 feet from the centreline of the pipeline) or facility site
  • Driving a vehicle, mobile equipment or machinery across a TransCanada pipeline right-of-way outside the travelled portion of a highway or public road or on a facility site
  • Using any explosives within 300 metres or 1,000 feet of TransCanada’s pipeline right-of-way or facility
Infographic: Prescribed area relative to a pipeline.

Image of the prescribed area, relative to a pipeline.

Agricultural crossings

Landowners operating agricultural vehicles across TransCanada’s pipeline rights-of-way may do so without consent provided they operate under normal conditions.

Normal operating conditions include:
  • The loaded axle weight and tire pressures of the vehicle or mobile equipment are within the manufac­turer’s approved limits and operating guidelines;
  • the point of crossing has not been restricted by TransCanada; and
  • the vehicle or mobile equipment is used for typical agricultural activities such as in the production of crops and the raising of animals, including pasturing and cultivation activities such as tillage, plowing, disking and harrowing.

In all other conditions, written consent is required.

How to apply for crossing consent in Canada

1. Determine the location of your work relative to TransCanada's facilities

When planning, and before any of the work or activities listed above can begin, a request for consent must be submitted to TransCanada through our online application form. We will no longer be accepting applications through email. Location of the work is required, along with the proximity to TransCanada’s rights-of-way. This information can be obtained through survey plans, or through a One-Call visit (please see above for One-Call contact information).

2. Complete and submit the online Crossing Application

The online application can be found here:

3. Application assessment and consent

Once your information has been assessed and potential impacts have been evaluated, TransCanada may:

a. Grant consent without any conditions 
b. Grant consent that requires certain conditions to be met to assure safety, or 
c. Not grant consent

4. Work or activity

Once consent has been granted, the Applicant must follow the guidance included in the written consent.  A local One-Call notification center must be contacted at least three (3) business days before beginning the work. TransCanada will send a representative to mark the location of the pipeline facilities. Please plan your work schedule accordingly. The approval documentation must be onsite at all times.

Want to learn more? Read our Pipeline Crossings FAQ.

Pipeline Crossings FAQ (27 KB)

Regulatory requirements and other guidance governing crossings and ground disturbances near pipelines:

National Energy Board

Alberta Energy Regulator

Alberta Pipeline Act (354 KB)


Alberta Pipeline Act — Pipeline Rules (460 KB)

For more information, please contact us:



Email (Quebec): 

Road Use Applications and Road Ban Notifications

Industry Notifications